[pianotech] moving piano to Fairbanks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 13:41:02 MST 2010

Alan asked:
"List,
Any recommendations for transporting a seven foot grand from L. A. to the "Gateway to the Arctic"? Winterizing advice also welcome. :-)
Thanks,"

Alan,
Having carted a 6 footer up the AlCan in a trailer, and being born and raised in the Largest state in the Union!. I can tell you a few things.<G>
1. Do Not Ship it this time of year!!!! I can't emphasize that enough. Ship in late spring. There are no heated trucks in this scenario! The sub-zero conditions on the upper end are brutal to say the least.
2. Get recommendations from the techs that live up there! They should know the situation.
3. If the client NEEDS a piano before Spring, tell them to rent one until it is safe to ship theirs.
That's the best I can recommend. Last thought, have the client read "Grand Obsession". If that doesn't put the fear of god into them, nothing will.<G> Lastly, Fairbanks is a whole different Planet.
Regards,
joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police