[pianotech] middle pedal

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Mon Dec 27 16:05:00 MST 2010

Early in my career, I tuned a TOG (tired old grand) for a first-time
customer, a minister's wife. The woman called me that evening and
demanded that I put the dampers back in that I took out. I managed to
explain over the phone that no piano has dampers beyond the middle of
the sixth octave.

I spend more time these days making personal contact with piano owners,
partially to head off these trust issues. That and gray hair helps, too.

Tom Cole