[pianotech] middle pedal

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 27 21:52:31 MST 2010

On 12/27/2010 10:01 PM, Susan Kline wrote:

> It hardly helps us if we are right, but the customer feels terrible.

A week or so ago, I did a service call on a prehistoric Pianola spinet
"player". Nasty little thing with two string unisons, that I last
"tuned" something like 15 years ago. The complaint was that it would
rewind, but it wouldn't play. The guy called about it early Monday last
week, and I scheduled it on Thursday last week at 10:00. About 11:00 on
Monday, he called wondering where I was, since he'd been waiting since
10:00. I reminded him that the appointment was for Thursday, and again
stated the date. So, Thursday after my first appointment, I showed up to
attack the problem. Turned out, the tempo, as I suspected, was set to
zero, so the roll wouldn't advance. I showed him how to work it, and he
made a comment about how stupid he felt about it. I tried to make the
point that we've all been there, and will visit again real soon. I
didn't offer to show him scars, but I've sure got 'em. I think (hope) it
helped, in spite of the second service call charge this year for the
same thing. The thing is, he's a business owner, with a fair bunch of
employees. He's used to assigning a perceived annoying minor problem to
someone on the payroll and having it taken care of without his further
attention, while he does bigger things. With his home piano, he did the
same thing he does at work. He automatically notified the guy who does
that without attempting to figure it out for himself, and got caught not
thinking. I tried to be as graceful as I could about it, but it was
still hard on him, since he is capable of better. I got the impression
he understood.

The piano, meanwhile, remains untuned these many years. I have no idea
whatsoever what the bottom line moral of the story is, but I tried to do
as little damage along the way as I could manage.

Ron N