[pianotech] middle pedal

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Tue Dec 28 09:25:19 MST 2010

I recently tuned a Hamburg L that had a PianoDisc installed. They had replaced the action frame with NY brackets and rails, keeping the wips and shanks. They then added a NY style sostenuto, using, I guess, a NY lyre, and homemade trapwork. It actually worked, but not for the 100 lb. player - you needed to be a gorilla to overcome the bad leverage. Also, the jack tails completely missed the letoff buttons, but it kind of let off anyway. All to have a sostenuto that the PianoDisc couldn't operate, and the owners (not the player) would never use. What a mess.

-- Mark Schecter