[pianotech] $450, 000 Salaries For Stagehands. No, really. $450, 000 Salaries For Stagehands

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 11:41:08 MST 2010

I'm sorry, Zeno, but I strongly disagree with your assessment. Yes, stage hands do a lot of their work in the evening, on weekends, at the expense of being with their families. But that's the nature of the game. The same is true for the members of an orchestra, our police and firemen, hospital workers, etc. Yet they don't get paid almost 10 times more than other people in their profession, just because they work weekend and holidays, even though most of them are probably very good at their job, too. To me this is just another example of a union wielding WAYYY to much muscle, when their is no need for that. Unions are there to protect the workers, not to gouge the companies for whom they work. And this is a case of gouging.

As far as unionizing piano tuners, let's not even think about it. Who are you going to negotiate with? Who are you going to go on strike against?

Just my two cents worth.

Wim