[pianotech] re Weber player grand

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu Dec 30 11:33:33 MST 2010

Well, Rob,

You are wrong on one point - rolls are NOT are to find - if - you no
where to look.

There is always eBay - as well as - many re-cutters are "into"
reproducing rolls.

And, Yes, if you are going to rebuild it to resell it - FORGET IT.

BUT, if you are rebuilding it - to keep it and preserve the rarity of
the piano and play it - then YES it is worth rebuilding.

Aside, IMHO, the U.S. is the worst at PRESERVING the rarity of antique
instruments. When I look on YouTube, I see tons of antique instruments
(pianos, band organs, nickelodeons, huge dance organs, etc) from all
over the world, especially Germany, Belgium, etc, that some date back to
the early 1800's - we, the U.S. would consider junk and rip apart and
throw it away.

Recorded at the AMICA Sutter Creek, CA Band Organ Rally Oct 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V0wrr0bodU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTTI5lIdxI&feature=related

AND, I'm personally trying to do my part - of having nearly 800 rolls
being re-cut as new ones to put back in the marketplace.

http://www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com/store/recut-player-piano-rolls/by-title.html

Even QRS, is seeing a revival, however small, in piano roll sales and is
starting to stock up on rolls again.

And most of my rolls are - not - QRS - so that definitely adds to selection.

My next project, is to take sheet music, copy it into some composing
software, convert it to a form that the recutters can use and put - even
- more songs back in the market place. (Along with keep my rebuilds
going - scheduled through until *2015)*

Another aside, I've been reading some articles about all the band organ,
around in the U.S., at carousel sites that are going in disrepair,
because the people don't want to spend the money to keep them up. BUT,
to keep the ambiance and the customers rolling in, they set aside the
band organ and put in a CD sound system and play the band organ music.
The non-U.S. sites would repair them in a heart beat because they want
to preserve these beautiful instruments.

In this "throw away" society, if we had more people like me - these
instruments would never die.

Helping to keep the rolls alive,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years