[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops - anotheralternative

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 07:34:44 MST 2010

    Chuck and all:
    I second your motion about using contact cement, BUT as you say it takes special handling.  1.  The right stuff - I use DAP Weldwood Gel Formula contact cement (in the red can) NOT water based cement (in the green can) it doesn't work well at all.  I brush it on with a plumber's acid brush.  My new favorite is DAP's spray adhesive.  2.  It's necessary to mask the top side of the keytops so the spray doesn't migrate around the edges when used.  I use painter's blue tape 2" wide.  I'm working now with adhesive clear rug protector material much like Saran wrap, takes some practice, but faster and cheaper.  3.  I use a pair of rollers to apply pressure to the keytop once it is in place.  The setup is similar to the old clothes wringer my mother used to use.  I compare it to an asphalt roller - lots of pressure along a line.  Fast and effective.
    Like you Chuck, I've had no failures in 20 years.  Every method has its good and bad sides, one has to decide which to use for him/herself.
    Mike Kurta, RPT
    Chicago chapter