[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops - another alternative

David Weiss davidweiss at embarqmail.com
Fri Jan 1 15:46:37 MST 2010

Contact cement works well but it's toxic, and since there are other good
options it seems best not to use it.

I've used the glue from Mike Morvan, it works well and seems  safe.  It has
almost no odor and washes off the top of the key easily should you get some
on the top.

However I must admit I've not clamped my plastic keytops down.  I
experimented on old keys and I've not been able to pull a keytop off that
I've glued on without clamping.  I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me
years from now.

I once had a keytop conversation at a convention with the guy from Pianotek.
(Can't remember his name.)  He told me they use PVCE and don't clamp.  They
probably do a lot of keytop work.  Might there be a lot of keytops popping
off in the future?

David Weiss