[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops - another alternative

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 16:43:22 MST 2010

You probably spoke to Mark or Bob and I don't think clamping has much to do
with glue joint success of failure with that type of glue.  Light clamping
helps create a somewhat more uniform contact and assists with squeeze out to
insure that that amount of glues is at least somewhat consistent along the
length of the joint.  If you've planed the keytop flat beforehand then
uniform contact isn't a problem and even a modest stroking of the keytop
when it's first put in place will get the squeeze out needed to insure
uniform thickness.  There is a point of diminishing returns with the amount
of pressure.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com