[pianotech] Contact Cement...was PVC-E yada yada

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 12:13:48 MST 2010

Chuck said:"Anyway, I just would like to set the record straight as concerns the use of
contact cement (for molded keytops with fronts). What I like about contact
cement is that used correctly, there will never be this type of failure."

Chuck,
I would have to strongly disagree with you. The "failure" of the key top cement that you talked about was no doubt Contact cement! I used to have a very fine craftsman/retired shop teacher, do my keytops. That worked real well until two things occured. 1. time 2. a reformulation requirement by the damned EPA. Since then a whole plethora of my clients have experienced failure of the jobs that were done for me! I've had to EAT many sets of key tops because of that damned stuff! I have since taken up doing keytops myself, as the "craftsman" refuses to use anything else! I now, use PVC-E. Yes, I have done tests on the stuff. Contrary to the short little test that the nice young lady, who doesn't sign her name, did, My findings are: you'd better get out the plastics explosive to get the key off after it has had sufficient time to set!!
I used Contact cement for many other things in my shop. ALL of which failed and I now use PVC-E. Of course I still use Hot Hide Glue for ALL action work!<G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I