[pianotech] Contact Cement...was PVC-E yada yada

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 14:01:30 MST 2010

    Joe:
    There may be reasons why contact cement didn't work (and doesn't work) for some folks.  1. You're right, the change to a non-petroleum based adhesive yielded poor results.  DAMHIK.  Water base material is useless for our purpose and should be avoided.  2. There is a difference in brands of adhesive and which works best for our use.  Each tech will have to find what that is.  3. Contact cement has a finite shelf life, the solvent will eventually evaporate in the can resulting in eventual failure.  This can occur using liquid, gel or spray materials.  It may have aged on the store's shelf.   I remember having to do over a set I had just covered because of this.  Fortunately the job had not left my shop yet.
    So yes, there are drawbacks to contact cement like most anything, but don't broad brush the whole method as no good, when others seem to have good results.
    Mike Kurta, RPT