[pianotech] difficult action removal

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 12:39:04 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM, jere fryett <jerefryett at hotmail.com>wrote:

> List,
>
> I have a client with a Lowrey console.  There is a rubbery squeak when she
> uses the sustain pedal.  I believe it is coming from the center of the
> action and that the damper rod is the culprit.  My problem is that I cannot
> get the action to pull off the action bracket bolts.  The down pressure of
> the bolts on the bracket saddles is so excessive that I cannot move the
> action.  I am afraid if I were to succeed in removing the action that I
> would not be able to replace it.  Have any of you had this problem and, if
> so, what was your solution. The lady just bought this piano from a store and
> she is greatly upset by the squeak.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jere
>
> ------------------------------
> Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.<http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/>

Story & Clark was famous for that, wedged 'em right in there, I used to
borrow a claw hammer from the customer, straight claw works best, hook the
claw on the bracket with the head of the hammer on the plate and you've got
plenty of leverage with the hammer handle.
It's not pretty but it works!

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404