[pianotech] Key wood prep....was....Applying PVC-E

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 17:07:08 MST 2010

I hear that about getting back lousy work.  That’s why I do it as well.  I
do take a lot of care to be sure that the key is held down square.  The best
clamping solution would be to have another piece of angle or flat iron on
the clamp side that somehow slides up against that side of the key so that
the clamp actually pushes against another piece of iron whose upward
movement is restricted (if you follow that).  Then you would have two pieces
of flat iron parallel to each other and perpendicular to the key bed hold
the key in place with the pressure from the clamp not directly on the key
itself.   I’m always happiest when the piano needs a new set of keys.  The
other thing to consider is that keys do warp sometimes and it may not be
your system that is at fault.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com