[pianotech] Key wood prep....was....Applying PVC-E

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sat Jan 2 21:52:31 MST 2010

David,

                I can envision what you’re talking about. Better still might
be two opposing heavy blocks of something that were spring loaded and
sandwiched the key from each side with the springs providing the clamping
pressure. It would be really cool if you could retract both sides together
with some sort of foot switch.

                Depending on where the key is indexed (in the jig were
talking about its indexed underneath the part where the players hand touches
it or nearly so) it shouldn’t matter much whether the key is warped or not.
The issue I’m having is where one side of the key is sloped down. If you
look at the key from the end the end looks like a trapezoid shape. If it’s
indexed where I mentioned that shouldn’t be possible. Somehow the key seems
to be moving. I like the idea about replacing the rubber button on the end
of the clamp.  If I ever get around to it I’ll have to let you know what I
come up with.

All the best,

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté