[pianotech] Misconceptions concerning contact cement for use

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 08:09:49 MST 2010

>Then you'll be trying a set with PVCE real soon now, right?
Ron N<

Ron - I've got a suitable candidate piano (not a customer's) sitting in the
shop right now, needing new keytops. I've got a pint of Schaff's PVCE
sitting on my shelf that I've been meaning to try. I'll give it a go here as
soon as I get a plastic to wood conversion done on a spinet action which is
torn apart on several benches. If there are any nit-picky type of details
concerning your methodology which you would like me to try, drop me a note,
so that I'm recreating your exact techniques as far as possible.

Have you yourself used contact cement on keytops? If not, or if you would
like to try it again using the methods of someone who uses it all the time,
I would be happy to send detailed instructions as to my techniques that you
could try. Not on a customer's piano or keys, of course, but on some extras
that you have around your shop.

The results of this might be interesting to post.   Chuck Behm