[pianotech] Contact Cement...was PVC-E yada yada

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 07:55:33 MST 2010

>Now, concerning glue adhesion.  I will clarify that by moderate I mean it
took effort to remove with a knife blade between the wood and the top and/or
front, but was not nearly impossible.  No child (or adult) would be able to
pop them off by pulling up on the overhang (I realize you didn't make this
comment, Joe).

Debbie L. (as always)
Rockport, MA<

Hi Debbie - Thanks for the clarification. I was thrown off by your "easy to
moderate effort" terminology as concerns removing keytops, and was overly
concerned  with the prospect of keys coming off at inopportune times. If, as
you say, the keys are bonded tightly enough that no child or adult could pop
them off, then there is no advantage in that respect to contact cement. If,
as Joe has stated, there are problems with new regulations as to the
formulation of contact cement, possibly there is an advantage in using the
PCVE. I personally have not noted any difference recently in the tenacity of
the contact cement bond, but I'm just going on my own experience with the
stuff.  Sign me, Charles Frederick Joseph Behm (this one's for you, Joe)