[pianotech] glues and clamping

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 21:04:43 MST 2010

>Ultimately what made me throw the contact cement away was the fact that the
keytops we were getting in to recover were previously covered with contact
cement and literally peeled off with no effort and no apparent bond
strength. I have to admit, I did not research why this happened, and do not
suggest it will always happen or ever happen again. Mike Morvan<

Mike - This is what happens when either only one application of cement is
given to the keystick, or no clamping pressure is applied after the surfaces
are brought together. The "multiple applications may be required on porous
surfaces" caution given on the label needs to be heeded. The first coat is
pretty much absorbed by the wood. The second coat provides the bond
strength. Plus, pressure needs to be applied to the keytop, in my opinion,
to seal the deal. I do it with a wood vise with a cork face cranked down
hard enough to leave an impression of the key in the cork. I only keep the
pressure on until the next key is assembled, but it makes a huge difference.
Before the key is put in the vise, I can still pry the keytop from the
keystick. (If for example I absent mindedly have put a F keytop on a E
keystick). After the 30 seconds or so in the vise, it's a no-go getting the
surfaces apart without the use of a hot iron.  Using the proper techniques,
the bond in my experience will last. Scanning down my data base, I count 15
pianos which I restored back in the 1970's which I still tune and
maintained. None of these pianos has had any problem of any sort with the
keytops which I installed. Thanks Mike, by the way, for all of your
thoughtful comments. This being your area of expertise, your opinions on the
matter are held in high regard.

Having said that, I'm going to follow Mike's lead in bowing out of this
discussion. This is not an argument which needs to made. For many procedures
in piano repair, as long as a technician is using proper techniques,
satisfactory results may be obtained using a variety of products and/or
tools. The only point I wished to make in the first place in the case of
gluing plastic keytops, is that contact cement, properly used, works well.
PCVE adhesive, taking all that has been said about it into consideration,
apparently works just as well. If you want to argue that, go ahead. As for
me, I say "uncle."  Respectfully yours, Chuck Behm