[pianotech] glues and clamping

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 3 21:30:47 MST 2010

Chuck Behm wrote:

> Having said that, I'm going to follow Mike's lead in bowing out of this
> discussion. This is not an argument which needs to made. For many
> procedures in piano repair, as long as a technician is using proper
> techniques, satisfactory results may be obtained using a variety of
> products and/or tools. The only point I wished to make in the first
> place in the case of gluing plastic keytops, is that contact cement,
> properly used, works well. PCVE adhesive, taking all that has been said
> about it into consideration, apparently works just as well. If you want
> to argue that, go ahead. As for me, I say "uncle."  Respectfully yours,
> Chuck Behm

Who's arguing? I thought we were all stating our case for what
we do and why and sharing experience, wide open, for
educational purpose. What the hell's the list for if not that?
So does your bowing out mean that pint of PVCE will continue
to age on your shelf, rather than to be tried on the next
keytop job? Which brings up the question of why you bought it
in the first place. What did you have in mind for it when you
bought it, if not education?

Ron N