[pianotech] Glues and clamping

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Jan 4 07:13:26 MST 2010

List,
Any suggestions for keystick prep after a set of tops attached with PVCE has been removed?  Some time ago I planed my first set of keysticks (my own piano) and attached tops, only to decide later that my QC (or lack thereof) in controlling the planing process on the keyfronts left me with a result I could not live with.  I've pulled the old keytops off (heatgun and putty knife), have used veneer and a router to restore a nice even line along the fronts of the keys.  My plan was to attach the new keytops with PVCE, but based on what has been recently posted, the existing PVCE residue on the keytops can be a problem.  What do you suggest?
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter