[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 6 07:23:10 MST 2010

George,

Let me first say how much appreciation I have for your contributions to this
list.  Invaluable.  And certainly your experience is far greater than mine.
However, I would disagree with your assessment.

Of course I understand that removing leads adds downweight.  I addressed
that.  I would disagree however, with the assessment that inertia only comes
into play until.......[acceleration of gravity].  An object at rest tends to
remain at rest.  The heavier the key, regardless of DW/UW the more effort
required to start the key moving.  Make a key entirely out of lead and
balance it out at 50g DW.  Take a standard key and balance at 55g DW.  It is
very clear that the inertia of the lead key will make the instrument
unplayable.  Inertia comes into play immediately, and a high inertia key
will be less responsive and more difficult to play, even with a lower DW.
Yes?  Or am I missing a few cells..........

William R. Monroe