[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Jan 5 23:21:17 MST 2010

William Monroe wrote:
> I'd also want to take a look at the leading and see if I couldn't remove a lead from each key, thereby reducing inertia.

The very purpose of adding lead weights to the front of grand piano keys is to reduce DW and the effort required of the pianist to depress the key.  Removing leads can only be counterproductive, increasing the DW.  The pianist would have to apply even more force to the key to make up for the assistance that the lead weight would have provided ... that is, unless you are removing the furthest forward lead weight and adding more weight closer to the balance rail.  Removing the lead weight nearest the front of the key and adding twice that weight at half the distance from the balance rail would maintain the same DW with less inertia.

Actually, inertia doesn't even come into play until the center of gravity of the added weight achieves the acceleration of gravity, 9.8mss.  If the added weight is at the very front of the key, which is not even possible by traditional means, it would achieve the acceleration of gravity at a volume level of about mf.  With traditional lead weights, you are not likely to find a lead weight closer than 60mm from the front of the key.  That being the case, you could probably play a strong forte before the added weight gets to the acceleration of gravity and a point at which inertia is actually working against you.

In this case, it would be useful to know the playing habits of the pianist.  If he/she plays church hymns at moderate volume levels, I wouldn't worry about inertia.  If he/she plays Rachmaninoff ... well, that's another matter.

Frank Emerson