[pianotech] Action Ratios

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 15:52:48 MST 2010

At 08:58 -0500 6/1/10, jiimialeggio wrote:

>Unless I'm completely missing something, the reason the right side
>of the equation can't make proper sense with the left is that the
>action actually has a variable ratio. 5.0 is @ half but considerable
>higher at the beginning of the stroke, fallingand 0 at letoff. As I
>see that equation, it is assuming the ration @ 1/2 stroke is
>constant throughout the entire kestroke=not true. Action rations
>seem to me to be confusing designations, since you really are
>talking either about an average (I don't see that factored into the
>left side), or a fictitious static number. No?

The class handout posted by Joe, misleadingly entitled "Action
Geometry: Truth and Consequences", has no truth in it at all and the
consequence will be that any reliance on it will lead to wrong
results.  No accurate expression of the "action" ratio can be
obtained without taking into account the angles involved and the
"losses" due to circular motion and that requires the application of
simple, and sometimes not quite so simple, trigonometry.  The result
thus calculated will differ _significantly_ from the result derived
from this uselessly simplified equation.

Generally speaking, the traditional ratio in European actions,
whether upright or grand was established long ago at 5:1, that is to
say that for a _perpendicular_ depression of the front of the key of
10 millimetres the _perpendicular_ displacement of the nose of the
hammer will be 50 mm if escapement is disabled.  Certainly there are
variations in the velocity ratio at different points in the touch,
but it is the ratio of total distances travelled by hammer and key
that gives the ratio in question.

A well set-up keyboard/action unit needs to have all the
centres/fulcrums and "contacting profiles" (places where arcs should
coincide at some point in the leverage) in precisely the relative
positions dictated by the keyboard/action design.  Any deviation from
these positions will not only make a difference to the ratio but
also, in most cases lead to friction, difficultied in regulation and
a less than optimal touch.

Suppose that the front lever of the key (top front of ivory to centre
of balance point is 2 and the back lever (centre of balance point to
mid-point of capstan top) is 1, then following the logic of the above
handout the profile (capstan top) will move up 5mm for 10mm of
touch-depth.  This is nonsense, and the same facile pseudo-geometry
is applied to every subsequent stage in the leverage, with the result
that an actual ratio of, say, 5:1 will be grossly overestimated.

JD