[pianotech] Action Ratios

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Wed Jan 6 11:06:04 MST 2010

JIM writes: Unless I'm completely missing something, the reason the
right side of the equation can't make proper sense with the left is that
the action actually has a variable ratio.

NICK writes: I see that the right and left sides do balance if
understood properly. But, yes, what we call the Action Ratio is variable
from beginning to end of key stroke; still it is a useful average.

J: As I see the equation, it is assuming the ratio @ 1/2 stroke is
constant throughout the entire key stroke = not true.

N: Correct in that the ratio figured at half-stroke is not constant. I
have worked out derivatives to show the ratio at any partial key stroke
and hammer blow; a nice exercise but doesn't yield anything useful. The
average is useful, assuming we all agree on the meaning of a 5.5 as it
differs from a 6.1.

J: Action ratios seem to me to be confusing designations...

N: Yes they can be confusing. But, again, assuming we measure the same
way and understand the average thing, we should have (and mostly do have
in my view) a useful relative standard.

J: since you really are talking either about an average (I don't see
that factored into the left side), or a fictitious static number. No?

N: if referring to the EQ

(keyout/key in) x (wippen out/wippen in) x (shank out/shank in) = (blow
distance - letoff)/(key dip-aftertouch)

the average is factored into the left side in that the "shank in" lever
is measured when the key is at half stroke. As to a static number, we
are not considering statics or dynamics, only ratios and measurements.

Hope this helps.

Nick Gravagne, RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Member Society Manufacturing Engineers