[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 16:52:51 MST 2010

I see now what you mean. Sure, reducing the mass of the hammer will reduce
the pressure and therefore friction at the sliding points. Unfortunately, I
have no data or numbers to give you. Under quasi-static conditions there
might be, say, 10 grams of friction involved. Under pressure of acceleration that must rise, and it will rise in proportion to inertia.
Sorry, but I have never seen any data on what the 10 grams turns into when
you play fff.

Vladan

"I just wondered if reduced sliding friction due to weight reduction in the
action during modification could somehow be expressed as a percentage of
gain when doing these modifications. I.e., the more weight (mass) is
eliminated the more the parts tend to move (more easily?)as friction is
reduced. No? Seems as though a percentage of work done can and is being
expressed by others. Just wondering.

Joseph Alkana"