[pianotech] rock solid for how long?

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Jan 7 04:08:30 MST 2010

Hi David:

When we do concert tuning, we are paid our normal rate to retune the piano,
even if it has only been 24 hours, a week, or whatever, yes?

You answered your own question.  No, she cannot tolerate slight out of
tuneness.

I would suggest to her that she get on a monthly schedule for tuning.  I
have had serious players on such schedules.  What percentage of your normal
tuning fee you want to charge her for is up to you.  You may want to do
little touch ups on regulation or voicing on those occasions when you are
only dusting off a few unisons, so as to give her value for your time there.

It wouldn't hurt to explain to her that she is only seeing 15 minutes of
your time for the touch up, but that your total time investment is
considerably more when travel is added in, you are driving x number of miles
to get there and go home or to the next tuning, cost of gas and wear and
tear on the car, etc.

If you charge her too little, it can leave the unintended impression that
you are charging so little because you are coming back to redo your bad
work, when in fact that is the farthest thing from the truth.

Will Truitt