[pianotech] aural checks and verituner

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Jan 7 16:32:46 MST 2010

Hi Zoe,

No matter what ETD I use I do aural checks and I ALWAYS find things that my ear doesn't like. Then I decide whether to follow the machine, my ear, or a compromise. (Oh, and I tune unisons as I go and I own a Verituner and a SAT) I generally tune 2 ½ octaves with the ETD, then prefer to do the rest (top and bottom) aurally.

Don Mannino did a great class years ago where he showed on a graph where he put a piano aurally, then with a machine. A real eye opener for me because the aural tuning was NOT a smooth line compared to the ETD line. Of course, Don had lots of points, but one thing I came away with is that using both (ear and ETD) is what I think is best; the ETD acts as the compass, and the ear as the artist. (I don't know a better way to put it) Maybe Don can say.

Regarding too many checks, LaRoy Edwards once told me that you should be able to set a temperament in about two minutes. (Dittos from my trainer/mentor) I don't believe in too many checks. Things can get bogged down. Terri Nimmi told me the same. George Defebaugh told of listening to someone in a store doing endless checks and finally shouted "Just tune the ____ ing unisons!". Checks are good to learn and use as needed, but all I usually only use is 2 as "votes" for where the note needs to go (up or down).

My 2 bits.

Best,
Jim Busby