[pianotech] aural checks and verituner

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 17:23:34 MST 2010

Check everything no matter what you use, you'll always find something to
correct.  By doing interval checks you will be adding notes to the machines
measurements in a somewhat random order but I don't know if it matters.  The
suggested method is to tune from bottom to top rather quickly which gives
the entire survey of the piano and then go back and tune it after the
machine makes adjustments to the curve based on all the collected data.
Tuning unisons as you go or not doesn't have any effect on how the Verituner
works since the measurement locks on the first string in the unison that you
tune.  You may choose to tune unisons as you go for other reasons though.

On a related subject I'm experimenting with just using the same setting for
the SAT III for every piano and just adjusting the DOB (double octave
stretch setting) depending on how the A2-A3-A4 octave coincides with my
default setting which is 6.5, 7.8, 7.1.  That's my basic Steinway Grand
setting.   Anyway, start by tuning A2, A3, A4 and determine whether the
default stretch works or not and then use the DOB setting to adjust it wider
or narrower as need be for that central double octave.  About 10 pianos of
various types so far and haven't found a reason to really deviate from these
numbers.  Yes I do make a few odd corrections here and there and always
monitor the bass.  But I did that even when I custom measured every piano.
Don't know if it will hold up but it's kind of interesting so far.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com