[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 18:29:02 MST 2010

It's interesting that you mention the Steinway balance bearing, Jon. I was speaking with another tech about a piano that could have benefited from the half-punching, but it was a Steinway with balance bearings... Anyway, he said that some techs lift the cloth on the bearing and slice a portion of the wood off at the balance hole (making it more of an angle) and then put the cloth back in place. Hmm, I wish I had known that when I was working on a particular concert instrument some years ago.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois