[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 16:19:20 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM, martin cipolla <pianodoctor at msn.com> wrote:

> My client has developed arthrits and needs to have the action quite a bit
> lighter on her
> 5` 3`` Yamaha Grand.  This is not something I have done before and would
> appreciate any suggestions on how to lighten the touch for her.
> Thanks,
> Marty
>
> ------------------------------
> Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.<http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/>

Hi Martin,

I've been following this thread when I had the chance for the last few days.
I haven't noticed anyone suggest what I've been thinking, replace the
capstans with the new WNG Anodized Aluminum ones they're about 1/3 the mass
of brass although if memory serves the Yammies usually have stainless
capstans but the aluminum wouls still lighten the touch some. I'm sure the
guys at WNG could give you some figures of how much and while you're at it
find out if their composite backchecks would lighten the load more. The
capstans shouldn't be that pricey, the backchecks might be but it's free to
check on it.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404