[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand - Basics

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Fri Jan 8 21:20:34 MST 2010

List,

I'm reading lots of nifty ideas on lightening up the touch on a grand, but I
think it's really important that Tom Driscoll's response (copied below) not
get lost in the crowd. A colleague in our local chapter recently invited me
to sit in on a day of service he was performing on a Yamaha G2 belonging to
a mutual friend. I was definitely the learner in this experience. We pretty
much followed what Tom is suggesting here.  Lots of friction
work/lubrication, including removing the back action and applying Protek
CLP, and ironing the bushings in the keys and the damper guide rail.
Regulation was assessed and carried out on an "as needed" basis -- priority
was given to slowing down the damper lift and adjusting the rep springs to
the new "lower friction" situation.  Hammers were reshaped and voiced,
changing the decay profile significantly.

The customer was very pleased, and commented on how the heaviness in the
touch was gone.  It was "a different piano."  I was struck by how important
it is to attend to the basics before resorting to extraordinary measures.

How many pianos do we have under our care that could be transformed like
this by a single day of basic in-home service?  This experience certainly
gave me confidence that I can provide an extremely helpful and
cost-effective service to my customers.  I've already put out a quote on a
brand new Pearl River grand that is frustrating a young student because of
the heaviness of touch.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

Tom Driscoll wrote:

Martin,
 Ditto on Mr. Monroes post on friction.. I performed a day of service on a
same size kawai last week that played like a truck.I list in no particular
order and at the risk of leaving something out:  Lube and bed keyframe,
Lube keypins and ease keys at balance hole and bushings, Polish capstans and
lube , lube rep lever and jacks,knuckles ,wippen cushions and what ever else
you can find,reshape hammers  and REGULATE.
Jacks too far under knuckles for example will make letoff very "resistant"
Sample work up one note with touch weight before and after and more
importantly let the client feel the difference.
 Dampers lifting too early with the key could be a problem also.
  Just a few ideas,
 Tom Driscoll