[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand - Basics

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Jan 9 14:59:14 MST 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Floyd Gadd wrote:

> The customer was very pleased, and commented on how the heaviness in
> the
> touch was gone.  It was "a different piano."
Exactly. Bingo. Make a radical positive change in a short amount of
time, and you win big. Players are ecstatic about paying you. Really.

>  I was struck by how important
> it is to attend to the basics before resorting to extraordinary
> measures.
No kidding. Literally every piano I've taken on as a new client---
which means every single one----has needed some hours of prep and set-
up.
It is the greatest no-brainer in the history of the world to sell this
work, if you explain AND show the client what can improve. My AVERAGE
gross for the first two appointments at a new client's place is
$876.00; that's an extremely efficient customer gathering, retaining,
and long-term monetization based on high client satisfaction. It means
the ordinary new client that I service intensely at the beginning and
maintain for 5-10 years returns
between $5-15,000.00 in gross revenues, and usually that much more in
referrals (most of my clients own good pianos and are regular clients,
not periodic.)

> How many pianos do we have under our care that could be transformed
> like
> this by a single day of basic in-home service?
Well, two days, realistically, but yes...almost every one.

>  This experience certainly
> gave me confidence that I can provide an extremely helpful and
> cost-effective service to my customers.
Fantastic. Congratulations. Be the COMPLETE piano service guy, and you
win big on every level.

>  I've already put out a quote on a
> brand new Pearl River grand that is frustrating a young student
> because of
> the heaviness of touch.
If you do this in-depth lubrication, regulation, voicing, and touch
enhancement based on quick and accurate diagnosis with full attention
for a while, your reputation as the go-to person will soar, and you
will become recession-proof, or close to it.

Rock on, Floyd. Have fun and prosper.....

DA