[pianotech] Ethics of prop sticks.

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Jan 9 07:40:02 MST 2010

It's a legitimate question, sure, most all questions are.

However, it is most certainly NOT an antique.  Good gravy.  This has been
addressed so many times over the years you'd think at least piano
technicians would have it by now.  Yes there are exceptions, (extremely
rarely) but old pianos are just old.  Period.  If it's 1894 and original it
needs to be rebuilt and is worth only a carcass price.  If it's not
original, it's well, not original.  How is that an antique?  For that
matter, how is an "all original" non-functional 1894 any brand piano an
antique?  If it doesn't work it doesn't work.  Pianos are not antiques.

Here's a thought.  What's one thing antiques have in common?  An antique "X"
is worth more than a new "X", provided one can be found.  Market value for
an 1894 B is most certainly less than a new one.  No antiques here.

Old instruments are rife with sentimental "touchie-feelies" and I love a
good 100yr. old piano as much as Mrs. Jones loves her dear departed
Great-Aunt's original condition Steinwin & Hamabe.  But, that yearning for
the past rarely, rarely translates into market or antique value.

William R. Monroe