[pianotech] Ethics of prop sticks.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 9 09:38:02 MST 2010

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
> Yup, yup. I may be fragrantly insipid...I love that) but....
>   Another alternative is to do what Dave & Willis Synder suggested.
>  On many occasions I have taken the original stick and routered out a
> slot as per more modern designs and added a short stick to it. This
> preserves  the original is intact and become more functional.
>   On My Own B I simply bought a new stick. One thing to keep in mind is
> that many of the one peice sticks were longer than the modern version
> and if you like that simply modify the original. It doesn't require all
> that many brain cells to accomplish this and it a neat and tidy solution.
>   Dale

I recently did an old Knabe that had a long lid prop that put
the lid up to about 60°! The owner wanted it lower. The piano
was being refinished as well as modefiled, so I cut the long
prop to the short prop length, shortened the short prop, and
moved the long prop socket out to fit the short prop. Looks
like it belonged there all along.
Ron N