[pianotech] rock solid for how long?

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 13:34:06 MST 2010

  Hi All
  I've really appreciated this thread as it gives me/us all a reality check.
 I also wanted to mention to factor in the constant flucuations of heating and air conditioning temp/humidity change. How many times have we had to try to hit a moving pitch target because the pitch was changing as the stage lights came on,the heating came on or some body opened a door..... Or the placement of the piano in the home ie southern exposure with direct or indirect sun or by a pedestrian door that swings back and forth as much as a playground swing... It's amazing we can keep a piano in tune at all. Especially the funky under designed one.
 These are just a few more reasons to show ourselves some deserved grace.
  As others have mentioned communicating these factors to our clients in vebally or as a written disclaimer (hmm good thought) is a grand fine idea and a huge step in mitigating unwarranted call backs. WHy jsut yesterday I tuned for a recording session in a drafty building and by the end of the day the call came in to retune. No surprise to them or me cuz I splained all of that.
  That said I also do not wish to excuse poor tuning techniques, or a  hurried tunings cause I'm late for dinner, nor should one experiment on the public before one is pre-pared to deliver quality tunings. (After that go for it).
  It is a great idea to have our tunings bench marked by our colleagues. ooooh...Did I hear nashing of teeth? PTG tuning test pre-screening?
  Ok I'll shut up now.

  Dale

True Kerry,
But, tuning is considerably different that repairing or plumbing work.  If
t is indeed the fault of the technician, faulty pin setting for example,
hen by all means, it should be fixed for nothing.  Within a short
easonable amount of time that is.  Not months or even a year later.
If it is a piano where the tuning creeps, if it has pins that jump, like
ome Steinway verticals do, then that is another matter.  It becomes utterly
mpossible to keep some of these pianos in tune if they refuse to cooperate.
e cannot be held accountable for this type of problem or weather changes.
e can only do the best that we can do with it explaining this to the
ustomer.
I've never once had a complaint that the piano went out of tune that was due
o being my fault.  In fact, it is almost always something else such as a
ticking key, a pencil that managed to miraculously appear inside of it or
t was a voicing issue or a couple of months or more had passed in which
ase the tuning will have changed to some degree or another anyway.
ustomers must be made aware of these facts.  If they are not taught the
auses of pianos going out of tune, they will never know it.
Jer