[pianotech] rock solid for how long?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 19:02:45 MST 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Kerry <kerrykean at att.net> wrote:

> It seems to me we need to apply some common sense to what amounts to a
> balancing act between what we know as technicians and what we can get our
> clients to understand and accept. I apply a kind of sliding time scale to
> this kind of callback, meaning that if it's a piano I tune regularly and
> something slips within a week or so (not the slow roll that's been referred
> to but really out), I'll take direct responsibility, make a free touch-up
> visit and try to use the opportunity to explain something about the number
> and complexity of the factors that affect the tuning (and maybe try to sell
> them on humidity control). When it's been a longer period of time, or the
> piano had not been tuned regularly, I'll try to make them understand why it
> may have gone out but hold firm in charging for a service call. This
> doesn't
> apply to performance work, where the expectations are higher and the time
> frame shorter.
>
> I guess the bottom line is, put yourself in your client's shoes. When
> something goes wrong with some service person's work shortly after they
> leave, and they refuse to make it right for free, no amount of explanation
> or rationalization would make me feel like I haven't been cheated. Emphasis
> here is on defining "shortly" for yourself.
>

> Kerry Kean
> www.ohiopianotuner.com

I agree Kerry, that's why I charge the same rate for the Naugawurli that is
right up against the hot water heat register as the well maintained grand I
tuned prior to it!
I just may not put the Wurli on y regular callback list, (grin)

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404