[pianotech] Cleaning and Polishing Brass Pedals & Face Plate, etc.

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Sat Jan 9 23:18:18 MST 2010

I am wondering about cleaning & polishing brass pedals, faceplate, screws,
etc. from a 1930s Steinway S.  I know brass is an alloy of copper and zinc,
and that the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range
of brasses with varying properties (thank you, Wikipedia).

I know copper is a very soft metal.  Is this relevant when choosing how to
polish brass piano parts?  I¹ve generally used Noxon and a cloth to clean
brass or nickel-plated parts, or to polish key pins.  Now I¹m wondering: Are
the pedals and faceplate a softer metal than, say, the wire bristles of a
wheel?  Will the [steel?] bristles scratch the brass?  Should I stick to a
cotton polishing/buffing wheel with a compound or rouge?

The wire seemed to clean the inside of the plate just fine, and it didn¹t
seem to affect the surface (the brass seems pretty hard), but I don¹t want
to scratch the front unnecessarily.  Would you treat nickel-plated pedals
differently?

Finally, I¹ve read about but never tried, coating with a clear lacquer after
polishing.  Do you recommend this for pedal parts, including rods?  I have
some Minwax Clear Aerosol Lacquer (³Clear Gloss²) in a spray can.  Would
this be the right stuff, say one light coat?

All suggestions and info appreciated!  BTW, this 70+ year-old piano lives in
a school practice room, if that makes any difference.

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com