[pianotech] Cleaning and Polishing Brass Pedals & Face Plate, etc.

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 10 06:43:02 MST 2010

Paul,

Wire wheel is a no-no on brass - the scratches will be obvious. Metal
polish such as Met-All or Flitz will be effective if there is no
protective lacquer on the brass, otherwise you may have to strip the
parts before polishing. You could also buff with tripoli compound
followed by red rouge. For protective coatings, look for nitrocellulose
lacquer formulated specifically for brass. These lacquers will
chemically etch the brass for better adhesion. Nikolas makes one that is
favored by brass instrument repair people - I think Mohawk or Behlen
also make one. I've never seen or experienced the spotting that Paul
McCloud mentioned. Surface prep is key - rinse and wipe with lacquer
thinner to remove all of the polish and buffing compound before spraying

Mike