[pianotech] Cleaning and Polishing Brass Pedals & Face Plate, etc.

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 10 00:57:30 MST 2010

Hi, Paul:
    Yes, the steel bristles will scratch the brass.  I prefer to use Brite Boy or Brasso.  Years ago, someone posted a home made formula for dipping brass parts, which I made up from Chromic Acid and something else I can't remember.  I have some in the shop.  If you dip any brass or copper in that solution, in 10 seconds it will be clean.  It literally melts corrosion away.  But it doesn't burn the skin (though it stains orange).  You might search the archives for brass cleaner.  There are similar brass dips available commercially.
    As far as coating the brass after polishing, I think Mohawk makes a special plastic spray coating just for the purpose.  The downside is that after some time, there will be spotting under the coating, so you'd have to remove the coating to polish it again.
    Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego