[pianotech] Assessing potential for rebuilding

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Jan 8 18:50:45 MST 2010

 Hi David
  I've rebuilt several Non famous pianos both grands and uprights. I prefer it to have at least a hardwood rim or laminated mahogany etc. That said I have bellied to ornate 6 ft Weber's from 1905 ish. Also one Hardman in a Louis case. These had a soft wood rim of some kind. If memory serves it was poplar. The Weber turned out to be a beautiful sweet piano. The original Plate was very beefy and I feel reassured with that heavy sand cast plate would hold the structure together as well as nor vibrate as many vacuum cast plates do. On all three instruments were rib crowned with taller ribs. The original rib scales wouldn't have had crown for three hours ...they were seriously under built.
 If a client is going to invest in a good solid American piano they will have a sizeable investment but they will also have a quality instrument made when craftsmanship was more prevalent in our country plus they had choice selections of lumber.
 Yesterday we picked up a beautiful Ludwig upright....for free! I have rebuilt many and these guys were onto substantial cut-offs and Beefy numerous ribs. They always sing  with no weak treble spots and will put to shame any Upright made today. When the economy thrives a gain we need to market this idea more fervently.
  Cheers..Long week
  Dale
 CHeck out these beautys. Pics enclosed as attachments