[pianotech] Ethics of prop sticks.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 8 21:51:05 MST 2010

David Boyce wrote:
> The theatre have an 1894 Steinway B (or the then equivalent). It was
> rebuilt by Steinway about 30 years ago and is beautiful.  It only has a
> one-piece lid prop, as they did at that time.  I have been asked about a
> short prop: the piano is mostly used for  accompaniment rather than
> recitals these days.
>
> I have written showing the director I deal with, outlining the options
> of the short brass prop from Pianotech which would be fitted alongside
> the existing prop stick, or replacing the existing original prop with a
> new two-piece prop stick, stained and polished to match.
>
> My initial thought was that the replacement would be the nicer option.
> But tonight I am having qualms. The existing stick is the original. If I
> replace it, will the piano cease to be "authentic" in some way?  (Albeit
> the action got lots of new stuff 30 years ago).

I dearly hope you're just smashed out of your mind on Ovaltine
and looking for low entertainment with the most flagrantly
insipid thing you can think of, considering. The lid prop?
Authentic? I'd say leave it alone, and put a collection box
outside the front entry for the pilgrims that are sure to come
worshiping at the alter of Steinway authenticity. A booth
selling an antiseptic salve for skinned knees should be a real
money maker too, to buy the Oxy Clean to scrub the blood off
the walkway. When word gets out, you're going to need security
guards, a numbered Swiss bank account, and a pet you can
relate to.

It's just a piano, dude, not a shrine or a god incarnate. It
may not even be that much of a piano, pending realistic
evaluation. Treat it like you would any other non-sacred
object, and split the difference between what the customer
wants and what's possible, as you would with any corporeal
artifact.

Ovaltine... Damn, that does sound good........
Ron N