[pianotech] Laminotomy and getting back to work

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Sun Jan 10 18:14:22 MST 2010

Rob

I underwent L5 laminectomy/discotomy in '87. I can tell you the lower
back pain I had suffered with for over 10 years and the excrusciating
sciatica was obviously gone the moment I came to following surgery. Pain
was till absent after the anesthesia had worn off. I now have limited
lower back motion, but nothing like being fused. I was working in heavy
construction at the time and returned to light duties after 6 weeks. At
one point, obviously too early in my recovery, I foolishly tried some
heavier lifting and ended up on my back for a week again. I wasn't
tuning at the time but I don't think it would be a problem during
recovery. Carrying heavy tool cases, lots of stairs, lifting or pushing
a piano would have been out of the question though.. 23 years later I
still regularly move and play a Hammond console with Leslie cabinet and
PA system as well as move my own pianos with proper equipment and help.

Based on my own experience, I'd suggest laying low for the recommended
6-8 weeks.

best wishes for full recovery.

Phil

--

   /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D

web: www.artistpianocare.ca
     tel: 416-907-3562
     cel: 905-626-3727
    phil at artistpianocare.ca