[pianotech] Laminotomy and getting back to work

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 18:55:41 MST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Rob McCall <rob at mccallpiano.com> wrote:

> Greetings friends,
>
> I am about to have surgery on my spine this next Saturday (1/16) down at
> Scripps in La Jolla.  They are using micro-discectomy and a laminotomy
> (hemi-laminectomy) at L5 (Lumbar) with a disc decompression.  No fusion, but
> cleaning up a pretty large herniation that's been bugging me for months.
>
> I'm starting to get lots of new clients and projects lining up, but my
> doctor says I'm going to be down for at least 1-2 months, maybe 3, and I
> have to watch my movement, twisting, bending, lifting, etc.
>
> Has anyone had anything similar to this before?  If so, how long before you
> could return to normal work?  limited work?  shop work?
>
> The sciatic pain has been killing me, but the neurosurgeon says  that
> should be gone after surgery. I'm looking forward to that!
>
> Any help or input would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob McCall
> McCall Piano Service, LLC
> Murrieta, CA
>
> rob at mccallpiano.com
> www.mccallpiano.com
> 951-698-1875

Hi Rob,

I was threatened with what I believe may have been a similar surgery but I
progressed well with Physical Therapy and after about 4 weeks I was given (
it cost my insurance $1000.00) a home traction machine to use 3 times daily.
Our chapter secretary just had similar operation Merlyn Finley
tuner at q.com<http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/compose?To=tuner%40q.com>he
doesn't moniter the list so email him and tell him I told you to ask
him.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404