[pianotech] Fwd: Action Ratios

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 22:22:44 MST 2010

Hi Nick/David L. and all
  I've enjoyed the quizzical intensity of our colleague David L. in pursuing this. My own thoughts and practice agree with the 5.5 action ratio as being an ideal. It doesn't tweak the regulation out of speck and  usually works well with a .390/10 ish overall key travel and a 46 mm blow distance. I like a close let-off adjustment of 1.5 mm on average.
  This ratio I find requires nominal and sane amounts of key leading while providing a good leverage to carry rational amounts of hammer weight. I'm not an extremist
 After all the numbers a calculated the truth that actions/keyboards that play well fall in between fairly narrow parameters of regulation, hammer weight and leading. Kind of like voicing, there is a range which many will heartily agree to readily.
  Does this make any sense?
 Anyway, knowing what to look for,what to measure, and what looks out of spec. by crunching the no.s is a huge element of control over the entire custom action balancing process allowing us to predict and express a certain outcome with assurity to our clients. I find it very cool.

  Dale Erwin