[pianotech] Ivory

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Jan 10 23:47:34 MST 2010

Years ago, maybe twenty, my father and I were appraising a piano for rebuilding.  A woman came to the house to purchase a chair she had seen advertised.  Our potential client, and the chair purchaser had a long discussion.  Finally, the client returned and  we went over our findings with her.  Suddlenly she burst out "That woman said you STOLE her ivories!"

Ever since I have made it a policy to discuss exactly what the person wants to have done with old parts--especially ivories.

Diane

I just called my client back to say that the keys are ready to be put in, and she said her relatives say she never should have let me take the ivory and she wants it back.  I told her I could give her the heads I kept, but of course they are mixed in with others I have saved from the past, so it will be difficult.  I assume she thinks it has some value.  Is it valuable?
David
Scottsbluff, Nebraska

Diane Hofstetter