[pianotech] hammers or strings?

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Mon Jan 11 09:50:44 MST 2010

Lee:  I second Mark Dierauf¹s suggestion of taking a good look at let-off.
I tune in a lot of jazz clubs, where there are aggressive players, and the
solution to string breakage is often to set let-off a little further from
the string than I personally like as a pianist and technician.  Just a
little.  This was suggested to me by Wendell Eaton, RPT, a friend and mentor
and highly experienced technician who is a past-president of the Guild.  As
he explained it to me, if let-off is extremely close, during rapid forte
playing, sometimes the jack will still be under the knuckle and force the
hammer up into the string plane, popping out strings.  Blame me, not
Wendell, if I don¹t have that explanation exactly right!  :)  In any event,
this approach works for me in lots of situations, and I think about it every
time I do any regulation on a jazz club piano.  Not sure aftertouch has much
to do with it.

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136