[pianotech] rock solid for????

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 11 14:40:23 MST 2010

David Lawson said:
"How refreshing to read the truth about our work. Tuning is not only an
individual task by the technician, but indeed, is very much like the hair
cut mentioned. One can be up to the alto section and discover that there is
a slight movement in the octave below you are tuning to. You can set the pin
perfectly,(in your opinion) and still get some movement. This is not an
exact science, and fortunately most people don't notice a slight wow in a
unison. To those clients that do pick it up, I refer them to other stringed
instruments such as violins etc., and suggest that they observe how many
times they are tuned between sets in an orchestra, and they have only four
strings!!"

David,
This is, imo, the classic example of techs not taking into consideration that ALL things are "fluid". When we percieve changes in our "foundation" as we tune, it is, generally, not due to our lack of the ablility to "set" the pin, but rather the constant movement of the structure as we change tensions. One good reason why tuning from A0 to C88 w/o doing aural checks is really dumb. (flack suit zipped tight on this one!<G>) I'm sure you are aware of this, just pointing it out for those who are not as on top of it.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I