[pianotech] Rebuilding tips

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 13 18:52:15 MST 2010

I generally use the original root so it doesn't really go through the
planer.  I remove the old cap in one piece when possible, fill the old
bridge pin holes and then just sand or scrape it flat.  If the root varies
in height it's not much and is usually a gradual taper.  I do the cap on the
long bridge in three sections: 1st capo, 2nd capo, tenor.  Any variation in
the root height in each one of those sections will be small and if necessary
I graduate the cap height in each section with the rough cut and then sand
to final height.  I don't always use laminated caps but when I do I don't
use delignit but rather keep the laminations fairly thick (maybe 3mms?) so I
can still notch by hand.

BTW I use this same process when installing new bridge caps on a piano where
I'm not changing the board.  In fact, lately even when putting in a new
board I've been attaching the bridge root to the board and gluing the board
into the rim before I start measuring for the cap thickness.  Part of the
reason is that I like to have the board glued down to the cutoff bar (which
there always is on new boards that I do) and have the perimeter bolts in
place before I measure and cut the cap.  I'm so used to recapping bridges on
existing boards that it almost feels more comfortable to work that way
anyway.  The only downside is that it can be a bit harder on the back.  Of
course, if you are using a power notcher then you have to notch the bridge
before it's glued onto the board and therefore have to do everything with a
dry fit.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com