[pianotech] Rebuilding tips

jiimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 18:01:35 MST 2010

> I take the other gauge and slide it under the string on top of the
> uncapped bridge until it just touches the string. That gauge, btw, is
> made about the width of the bridge pin array—though it doesn’t really
> matter, it should positioned ideally where the strings would be
> touching the bridge. Whatever the thickness of the gauge is at that
> point is the thickness of my bridge cap. I do this along the entire
> bridge every whatever marking on the bridge top the thickness of the
> to be made cap. Then I make the cap to the desired thickness usually
> with the front edge of the bridge about 1 mm higher than the back to
> insure positive front bearing—this may vary depending on the piano
> though.
>

> David Love

David,

Interesting posts...

Am I correct that you leave your root top surface as it came out of the
planer, and make your cap vary as necessary? If so, with your laminated
cap do you do this by building it up unevenly as necessary and then sand
to finish dim?

Also, sounds like your using laminated caps. How are you notching them?
Did you make yourself a machine, or are you pulling it off by hand?

Jim I