[pianotech] 35 year old Chickering

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jan 13 19:34:29 MST 2010

Unremarkable at best, I worked for a aeolian  dealer around 1980 and they had a collection of woes. Shoddy parts and workmanship all over the place. The  most memorable problem was that there was very little space between the hammers. They were too wide for the design and would hang up when a cloud went overhead. You could space the hammers to not rub and the knuckles would hang up on each other. If you got everything free and all hammers hitting all strings it was a victory albeit usually short lived.
Cosmetically  the finish coats were tinted to even up the color and had really poor adhesion. End result was flaking chunks of finish on the arms, keyslip stretcher etc.
I still see them around and they  seem to hang together structurally but as you describe they are best at looking like a grand piano.
Tom Driscoll