[pianotech] personal question- where did you learn PT?

Brian Trout brian_trout at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:09:13 MST 2010

Hi Zoe,

It's been a while, but I'll toss out some thoughts.

I started with a home study course.  Very bad.  Could have learned more from a few books I could get at the public library.

Went to work at a large piano store that had a full rebuilding and refinishing shop.  Learned a LOT by being there.

They had about 10 years worh of the PTG Journal and I read through those.  Learned a bunch there, too.

Went to a number of PTG Conventions and took numerous classes.  Learned a bunch there.

Read through the archives of this list.  Lots of really good stuff there if you have time to sift through a lot that probably won't mean much to you.  Stick around here and you'll learn who generally writes the things that will be meaningful to you.

If you haven't already, join the guild, and do your best to hang out with people who know more than you do!  I was lucky to have had just a little time with some pretty great guys, mostly at PTG classes and gatherings, some probably wouldn't even remember me, but I remember them... Dave & Willis Snyder, David Hughes, Dell Fandrich, Ron Nossaman, Andre Bolduc, Roger Jolly, and many more that my feeble memory isn't bringing to mind for me as I type this.

Listen, learn, absorb all you can.  You won't remember it all.  But what you do learn will accumulate.  :-)

Best of luck,

Brian